Monday, January 8, 2007

About My Hometown ------


Last summer one of my sisters, of whom I have two still living in my hometown, told me of a new project that was taking place there. The town of about 7000 population was a laid-back, typical, small, rural Indiana town that showed little, if any, progress for years. However, in the past few years it seems to have come alive and, thanks to some progress-minded citizenry, has began to stimulate some new industry, and some pride and growth in the community. Specifically, my sister told me about a new park that was being developed, and so my wife and I drove up there one weekend to investigate it.

It isn't a development of large acreage but rather small, and I can't say that it is fancy or ornate. But it has been done in good taste with an honest attempt to honor the servicemen and women from the county. It's called "The Freedom Park". Bricks are laid in a circle around a center area which may or may not be intended to have a fountain (I don't know). The bricks are sold to the family members or to the veteran and have the name, rank and service of the individual being honored. The price of the brick goes to the local Portland Foundation and is tax deductible. I hadn't known of the existence of this foundation previous to this, but I learned that it has existed for a number of years and has been awarding grants and loans to a number of local students to further their education.

I was truly impressed with the park and what I learned about the Portland Foundation, and I have attached a picture of the park.

2 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

Good post Jay, I like people who remember what others did for them.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

the park sounds lovely. we have one in podunk (our little summer place) that honors all wars and service perple from there. it is tiny and it is lovely, tasteful and there is a plaque with the names of the people from the little town that died. i love that place.

now jay, i come here every day to see what is new. honey you are just going to have to blog a little more so i don't get my panties in a knot, you know? wanna go on another cruise. we have four booked..... bee